What's For Dinner? The most dreaded question asked around here!

I will be putting all these recipes plus photos in my own cookbook made on www.heritagemakers.com/LaCee I'm excited to have a family cookbook around here to flip through quickly for dinner ideas! I'll post as often as my crazy, busy life will allow.


Share some love! Let me know what you thought of the recipe if you tried it! Don't hold back, it won't hurt my feelings! It'll only help others who read this blog :).

Monday, January 9, 2012

Better Home Made Macaroni and Cheese

I found this new recipe for Home Made Macaroni and Cheese and just had to try it.  There are a few new tips and new ingredients that are a little different from my original Macaroni and Cheese post.  My family LOVED it!  It was a hit and I was asked not to make the old recipe any more :o).




Ingredients:
1 Pound Elbow Noodles (Macaroni noodles)
Salt
6 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
4 Cups Milk
1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
3 Cups Shredded Sharp White Cheddar Cheese (12 Ounces)*
1 Cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese (2 ounces)
3 Cups very course fresh Breadcrumbs

Directions:
1. Cook Elbow Noodles in a large pot of boiling, salted water 1-2 minutes less than package instructions.  Drain, rinse with cool water and return to pot.
2.  Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons Butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add flour; cook, whisking, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes.  Whisk in Cheeses until smooth.  Pour over noodles; toss to coat.  Divide among baking dishes.**
3.  Melt remaining 2 tablespoons Butter; toss with Breadcrumbs.  Sprinkle over noodles.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap; freeze up to 3 months.***
4.  Preheat over to 375 degrees, place frozen*** dishes on a baking sheet; remove plastic.  Cover with foil.  Bake until bubbling, 60-70 minutes for large dishes, 40-50 minutes for small.  Remove foil; continue baking until golden, 5-10 minutes more.

Family Rating*****
Reheat Rating****

*Shredded Sharp White Cheddar Cheese was something I could not find in our little town, I tried both grocery stores here without success.  I used regular Cheddar Cheese and it turned out great though I'd highly suggest trying the White Cheddar Cheese if you can find it!
**The dividing into baking dishes is up to you!  You can divide it into many small dishes for individual servings or just one or two large dishes for a family serving, both work great!
***You DO NOT need to freeze it before baking!  This was just the suggestion for such a large recipe, I go it from a website that was giving ideas for freezer meals.  I chose to bake 1/2 of it immediately after preparing and then I froze the other half of it for later, if you have a large family there is no need for the freezing at all just use it all up at one time!

(I REALLY wish I could sight the website I pulled this from!  But I cannot for the life of me remember where it came from, nor can I find it anywhere, I do remember I saw it baked on a cooking show and then went to their website to find it but I don't know what show. it was quite a while ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment