What's For Dinner? The most dreaded question asked around here!

I will be putting all these recipes plus photos in my own cookbook made on www.heritagemakers.com/LaCee I'm excited to have a family cookbook around here to flip through quickly for dinner ideas! I'll post as often as my crazy, busy life will allow.


Share some love! Let me know what you thought of the recipe if you tried it! Don't hold back, it won't hurt my feelings! It'll only help others who read this blog :).

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

School Lunches and Snacks



Every Sunday I pre-make 5 days worth of a main entree (sandwiches, kabobs, bagels, etc.) and I chose to dedicate a shelf in the door for these.  I also chose to make 3 of each because I have 3 kids, just one in school but I figured if lunch is already prepared each day I can eliminate some stress on me with a baby taking a lot of my time.  One day each week I go grocery shopping, as soon as I get home I cut and divide fruits and veggies for 5 days worth of lunches and snacks into snack baggies, be careful of those that go mushy or brown once cut, apples, pears, bananas you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the baggie and shake it up, they will take longer to brown :), you only want to do just 5 days worth or they will go bad, I cleaned out a crisper drawer in the fridge and put all perishable lunch and snack foods in it.  And I divide all crackers and other snacks into snack baggies, I chose to divide by suggested serving size per baggie but you can choose to put as much or as little in the bags as you like, designate a drawer or cupboard just for these (I chose one where my kids can reach easily), I don't do just 5 days worth with this one, I divide all boxes/bags of snack food into baggies and toss their original packaging :).  My husband loves snack food as well since he works in an office all day so he is allowed to eat these pre-divided snacks with the kids.  For lunch I have my son choose one entree, one drink, if the entree does not include cheese I have him grab a string cheese, one fruit, one veggie and one snack item, the portions are so perfect for him that he actually does eat every bite of them all at lunch at school.  For my younger kiddos they choose one entree and one fruit or veggie, if they finish that and ask for more then they can choose fruit or veggie (whichever they didn't previously choose) or a snack.  Snack time each child gets one baggie from the cupboard, I'd allow more but dinner is usually just 1-2 hours later so I don't want them filling up.  My husband is allowed two snack baggies and two perishable baggies per day, he says this is plenty for him so we'll stick with it.

Here are some lunch and snack ideas that I found browsing Pinterest:

SCHOOL LUNCHES
Pita crackers/pretzels+pepperoni+Mozz cheese=lunchable
Ritz crackers/pretzels+ham/turkey+cheese=lunchable
Sandwiches:
            Ham/turkey+cheese
            Peanut butter & Nutella
            Peanut butter & Jam
            Peanut butter & Honey
 

Kabob:  Cut sandwich into small squares and stack on a skewer, cut the sharp tip off ;)
             bagels, cheese, ham
             Bread, cheese, ham
             Tortillas, cheese, ham
             Peanut butter and jelly

Bagel:
            Cream cheese
            Ham/turkey+cheese
            Peanut butter & Nutella
            Peanut butter & Jam
            Peanut butter & Honey
Drinks:
            Milk (yahoo is great as it doesn't need refrigeration)
            Juice boxes
            Capri suns
            Water (mini water bottles are awesome)
Fruit:
            Bananas
            Apples
            Pears
            Peaches
            Oranges
            Grapes
            Strawberries
            Applesauce
Veggies:
            Carrots
            Cucumbers
            Snap peas
            Celery
            Broccoli
            Cherry Tomatoes
Treats:
            Yogurt
            Fruit snacks
            Pudding
            Dried fruit
            Fruit bars
            Muffin
            Fruit/Veggie Puree Pouches
            String Cheese
 
Cookie:
            Sneaky carrot cookies
  • 2 Bananas
  • 3 Tbsp Almond Butter (or peanut butter)
  • 1/2 cup Applesauce
  • 2 cups Oats
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 cup Grated Carrots
  • 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries (or your favorite dried fruit)
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional but really, when is chocolate optional)
  • 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds (optional but these are so good for you)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl.  Stir in the almond butter and then the applesauce.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Drop the dough onto a cookie sheet and slightly flatten with the back of a spatula.  Bake for 10-14 minutes, until nice and firm.
Triple Hitter Muffins (Toddler Muffins) 
Courtesy of The Loftlands

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup applesauce
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup all purpose whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat over to 400*
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Beat in egg, then applesauce. Stir in carrots and zucchini. 
In another large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Fold dry ingredients into wet, until just mixed. Grease muffin tray and fill cups to the very top. Bake 18-20 minutes.

SNACK TIME
Popcorn
Crackers
            Ritz
            Whole Wheat
            Pita
            Fish
            Triscuit
Chocolate Chips
Cookies
            Homemade
            Grahm Crackers
            Nilla Waffers
            Animal Crackers
            Chocolate Animal Cookies
Fruit
            Bananas
            Apples
            Pears
            Peaches
            Oranges
            Grapes
            Strawberries
            Applesauce
Veggies
            Carrots
            Celery
            Cherry Tomatoes
            Cucumbers
            Snap peas
            Broccoli
Yogurt
Fruit/Veggie Puree Pouches
String Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment